Must be displayed at all times, badges and wristbands are non-transferable, and no refunds will be issued if lost.
If your costume is deemed to be offensive by Sci-Fi on the Rock staff you may be expelled from the convention. This includes but is not limited to; nudity, vulgarity, and promotion of intolerant ideology. Depending on the severity of the offense you may be asked to leave until you are wearing a less offensive costume or you may be asked to leave the event and not return with no refund. If you have questions about the content of your costume or about this policy please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reporting harassment or inappropriate behaviour
Please reach out to any Sci-Fi on the Rock volunteer or committee member to report the behaviour and our security team and committee members will handle the issue with discretion.
Sci-Fi on the Rock is dedicated to providing a harassment-free (including bullying-free) convention experience for everyone regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment or bullying of convention participants (including attendees, press, exhibitors, volunteers, staff, etc.) in any form. Demeaning or harassing sexual language and imagery is not appropriate for any convention venue, including talk. Anyone violating these rules may be removed from the convention, without a refund, at the discretion of the convention committee.
Harassment includes offensive verbal comments, (related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, etc.) sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact and unwelcome sexual attention. Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
Exhibitors are also subject to the anti-harassment policy. In particular, exhibitors should not use overtly sexualized images, activities, or other material.
If anyone at the convention engages in harassing behavior, the convention committee will take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender or removing them from the convention without a refund. If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of committee or volunteer immediately. Committee and volunteers can be identified by their volunteer shirts/ special badges/ headsets.
Committee or volunteers will be happy to help attendees contact convention security or local law enforcement, provide escorts, or otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the convention. We want Sci-Fi on the Rock to feel like a safe space for all those involved.
Service Animals & Pets
Official service animals are, of course welcome at our convention. However pets are not permitted as per the regulations of our convention space. While we recognize the value of therapy animals unless you have a certificate to show that your animal is an official service animal we will not be able to permit them into the convention.
Personal Attendants for Medical or Special Needs
Sci-Fi on the Rock recognizes the need for personal attendants and will of course allow for them to attend along with you as long as you have the proper ID for this. To make your registration process faster we recommend you let us know if you plan to come with a personal assistant by emailing us at email@example.com.
Ticket Returns/Refunds/Exchanges Policy
All Sci-Fi on the Rock ticket sales are final and no refunds or exchanges will be provide.
Guest appearances are subject to change or cancellation due to professional obligations. Unless otherwise noted, all guests will be in attendance for all days. Please check our Sci-Fi on the Rock website for the most current updates on guests prior to the convention. Refunds will not be issued in the event of a guest cancellation.
There will be no refunds on lost/stolen tickets or wristbands or if you are removed from the convention by staff or security.
Sci-Fi on the Rock ticket holders are welcome, at their own discretion, to transfer or resell their tickets. However only exact-cost exchanges and sales will be allowed.
Photography & Video Policy
We ask that all attendees are respectful about photography. Please ask before taking a photograph of someone. This is both respectful and will ensure you get the best photo possible. Asking for sexualized poses without prior consent will not be allowed.
Recording may not be permitted at select events. If you record at an event where it is not permitted, you will be asked to delete the recording and then removed from the convention and not allowed to re-enter. In most cases, non-flash photography at worshops and Q&A’s is fine, except where specifically noted. Filming should be for personal use only. Any photography, film or audio released (via any medium) for personal gain or profit is not permitted.
Sci-Fi on the Rock strives to have a safe convention for all involved. We always encourage attendees to have fun with their costume designs but to keep the safety of the public and fellow attendees in mind.
The following items are forbidden from being brought into the convention:
- Explosives (including firecrackers, caps, and fireworks)
- Blow Guns
- Chemical weapons (including mace and pepper spray)
- NO live ammunition firearms are permitted. This includes those firearms that have no loaded ammunition or the firing bolt or pin removed. We will contact authorities to remove you.
- Any concealable weapons (knives, brass knuckles, switchblades, etc.) will be seized, and anyone found to be concealing any such items will be asked to leave and will not be allowed to return. We will also have to report them to the authorities.
- Any other weapon(s) prohibited by Canadian Law
The following items are permitted, but will be subjected to additional scrutiny:
- Metal-bladed weapons regardless of sharpness, they must remain sheathed and peace-bonded at all times, and must be made obvious to convention staff, or else they will be seized.
- This includes but is not limited to: axes, daggers, hatchets, knives, kunai (must not have guard around the grip), swords, sword canes, etc.
- Functional replica firearms (including airsoft guns, BB guns, cap guns, paintball guns, and pellet guns) are permitted only for display during the costume contest and must NOT carry a live charge (CO2, compressed air, etc.)
- Prop firearms MUST have an orange tip for security reasons
- Functional projectile weapons (including crossbows, longbows, slingshots) must be made nonfunctional.
- Just rendering it inoperable does not make it legal. It must not be able to function period.
- Bows and Crossbows must not be strung
- Crossbows should be full size. If is designed to be held with one hand it is prohibited.
- Nerf crossbow weapons OK – but cannot be loaded with foam or other projectiles and fired at the convention
- Hand crafted prop crossbows are OK if completely non-functional
- Prop arrows and bolts tipped in foam, cardboard, fabric or other soft materials are permitted to be held as part of a costume. Projectiles tipped with metal, sharpened wood or any other hard material that can take an edge must be secured into a quiver or left at home
- Blunt weapons (including staffs, sticks and clubs)
- Hard prop weapons (including props made of metal, fibreglass, wood, and glass).
Any attendee found to be in willful violation of these policies will be asked to leave and authorities will be notified.
Sci-Fi on the Rock reserves the right to reject any props or costume pieces it deems unsafe to attendees.
If you have any questions or concerns about any of the policies on listed on this page or any other questions about policies please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org